1/17/14

WWE Smackdown Review 1/17/14

Note: Well it is Friday, it is time for WWE Smackdown. As I get ready for this episode, I wonder if WWE is trying to get people excited for Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania XXX or if they expect people to waste money on bad shows and PPVs. As this show starts, I do like that we will be seeing more of New Age Outlaws and we are getting more tag team matches. However, the main event and title is still skewed to me. So let's start watching and reviewing WWE Smackdown...

Match#1: New Age Outlaws vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust - Non Title Match
Winners: New Age Outlaws
(I lived through the attitude era and ruthless aggression era of WWE. So seeing New Age Outlaws is a good thing for the tag team division but also bad in the long run. I say the latter because WWE keeps proving that they don't have much trust in their young talent. Example of that would be having New Age Outlaws being #1 Contenders but overlooking The Usos, The Shield or even bring up a tag team from NXT. I love seeing Cody Rhodes and Goldust as champions but my dream of seeing them possibly having a Wrestlemania match is best for business. Until then this will work. As for the match, it was good. I think it was pointless to have Vickie Guererro interrupt. Moving on...)

Match#2: Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio
Winner: Rey Mysterio
(I had to change channels from this. I know this is setting up Alberto Del Rio and Batista but then again, Alberto Del Rio is not a big enough name to face Batista. I think ADR is overrated in my opinion. This match does little to make ADR look good and is making Batista look like he will kill ADR. )

Match#3: Naomi vs. Tamina Snuka
Winner: Naomi
(I was happy to see AJ Lee but this match was shitty. Tamina is a good wrestler. So it wasn't her that made this match shit. Naomi is not in the caliber as Lita, AJ Lee or even Trish Stratus. I find it fucked up that they had a good wrestler in Karma but rather keep women like Naomi. I have said that WWE is scared to have real women wrestle because that think we want models. Kaitlyn was a lot like Trish Stratus. Both were models and both were champions. Both were able to make the women's division interesting and both left happy. I mention this because rather to focus on the division, they want to make the Divas into reality TV stars. That's bullshit in my opinion. )

Match#4: Fandango vs. Big E Langston
Winner: Big E. Langston
(Have anyone seen a nature show when the lions attack the gazelles? That was what I got out of this match. Big E Langston is a main eventer. He will be champion soon. Fandango is about to be a jobber with a gimmick. Moving on...)

Match#5: The Usos vs. Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro
Winner: The Usos
(I am not a fan of repetition. I think as a kid, watching WWE was a world of repetition. You don't know how many times I saw Hogan fight the same jobbers or see Savage and Steamboat outdo each other. Back then, it was ok to see it because it wasn't on all the time. Now, we have saw this match over and over but the results change. I like The Usos but this is a waste for them. As for Real Americans, well it is time to end this gimmick because this is offensive. )

Main Event: CM Punk vs. The Shield, New Age Outlaws and Kane
Winners: The Shield, New Age Outlaws and Kane
(This was not a real match but I wrote up like this because it was easier. Also, just to put it in perspective, this was funny to see. So we all know that Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, and associates like Kane and HBK make up the Authority. Now we got New Age Outlaws being added to the mix. I did not leave out The Shield but that's because most people know they are. I love CM Punk and think this is going to get him back into the main event. Also it was cool to see Kane be active again. This wasn't a match but more so a way to make the storyline with CM Punk and The Authority more interesting. This actually was a good ending for the show because it sets up something for WWE Raw. Time to end this review... )


Final Thoughts: Ususally, I would say that the ending saved the show. When I say that, I am right about 80% of the time. This is one of those times. Seeing The Shield and New Age Outlaws bridges the gap in great tag teams from past and present. Seeing Kane haven't lost his touch was cool as well. I think I am right in saying that Smackdown needs to be on a different cable channel. I feel like if WWE is so determined to have a network of their past and present programming, they can afford to change Smackdown to USA or even ION. The ending save this show. I also think when the WWE network debuts next month people need to think about if this is worth it. See you all for WWE Raw.






Gene The Grappler

No comments:

Post a Comment