9/16/13

WWE Night Of Champions PPV Review 9/15/13

Note: It is funny that I get to see this PPV after going through a decent WWE Raw and an epic WWE Smackdown in Detroit. I find it funny that this PPV is in Detroit because the area has held two Wrestlemanias, countless WWE tv shows and more. So why was the hype for this PPV so lacklustered? Why does this feel like we are going to see SSDD from WWE? I am trying to be excited as I attend this event. However, it is like I might be right with my assuption. Anyways, here is WWE Night of Champions from my hometown of Detroit, MI.

Pre-Show - Tag Team Turmoil: 3MB vs. Tensai and Brodus Clay vs. The Usos vs. 3MB vs. Darren Young and Titus O'Neil vs. Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro
Winners: Darren Young and Titus O'Neil - #1 Contenders For The Tag Team Titles
(So as I am sitting down in my seat, a little kid asks me if Tons of Funk would win this. I tried my best not to laugh at him. I later said to the kid that PTP was going to win because it was their turn. I was right. As for this match, this was a clusterfuck with a side of calamity. This was the only way for all these guys would be on the card for the PPV. At one point, a small section was chanting for PTP but I doubt that people watching the PPV heard it. Not the best way to start the PPV but at least it was something to be laughed at.)

Match#1: Curtis Axel vs. Kofi Kingston - IC Title Match
Winner:  Curtis Axel
(I was actually shocked to see this happen. This is Night of Champions and all the titles should be defended. I find it ironic that this was the first title to be defended. Why? It is because this title use to mean something but now is just a joke with history. This was exciting to watch but it would have been cool to see Kofi win the title again. Thank you WWE for at least hearing the fans. )

Match#2: Natalya vs. Naomi vs. Brie Bella vs. AJ Lee - Divas Four Way Title Match
Winner:  AJ Lee
(Thank you again WWE for this gem. I was excited to see this match only because I was cheering for AJ Lee to keep her title. Seeing her live is better than seeing her on TV. Even though my seats were way up there, that ass was nice to see. Also I think I like Nattie again. Seeing her live was kinda of cool. The other two were meh. The ending was actually cool. Seeing a double sharpshooter was kinky but seeing Nattie tap out of the black widow was hot. This was a good match. )

Match#3: Rob Van Dam vs. Alberto Del Rio - WHC Title Match
Winner: Rob Van Dam by DQ
(This was the chant when this match ended: THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!! I don't know if the people watching the PPV on TV heard that but in the crowd, that was the sentiment of the crowd for this match. We all wanted RVD to win this match and change the face of Smackdown. This could have been a better match if RVD won. Also it was funny to note that I was sitting next to people from Battle Creek just to see RVD. As for this match, this was a typical match from both men except seeing RVD live is a treat. Last time I saw RVD live was before WWE, TNA, ECW. This was an indy wrestling show and he was tearing up the house with Sabu. )

Match#4: Fandango vs. The Miz
Winner: The Miz
(This was where I went to get food. People were telling me to stay and watch this match. I was eating and walking around beautiful Joe Louis Arena. Like I said, I got up during this match. Did I see any of it? Fuck no! I don't like Fandango and knew Miz was going to win. Moving on. )

Match#5: CM Punk vs. Curtis Axel and Paul Heyman - 2 on 1 Handicap Match
Winners: Curtis Axel and Paul Heyman
(I came back to my seat just in time to see the best entrance in wrestling. Hearing Cult of Personality live is awesome. Even though CM Punk is from Chicago, he does have a huge cult following in Detroit. The place woke up when CM Punk comes out. Also it is funny to say that Paul Heyman live is something I wish to describe. Last time I saw Paul Heyman in Detroit wasn't in WWE. It was back in the era of ECW. The match was typical at first. I knew that Axel was going to be out first. However seeing the Anaconda Vice was sweet. I love that submission hold. The place errupted when it was Punk and Heyman in the ring. I was pissed to see Ryabck come to help Heyman. Way to ruin the match, WWE. )

Match#6: Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler - U.S. Title Match
Winner: Dean Ambrose
(Before I talk about this match, let it be noted that people were leaving in groups during the PPV. Why? I think it was a mix of getting the kids out for school plus people were pissed with the lack of title changes. I was in a full section but by this match the section was almost empty. Also I was seating opposite the ring entrance and can see that people were even moving out of the lower bowl. As for this match, I was happy to see this because it is fucked up that Ziggler was a champion and now is jobbing to guys. I wish I was not a huge fan of Ziggler's because it is hard to see him fall like this. Also I like The Shield but this was kind of a letdown because this could have been more epic. I feel like the match was rushed because of what was next.)

Match#7: The Shield vs. Prime Time Players
Winners: The Shield
(By now, a lot of people were leaving. All the kids were gone because parents did not want to be driving in Detroit so late on a Sunday night. The people in the arena was excited to see this match but I think on the PPV, it was piping in the crowd. I say that because most of the crowd was not cheering as loud as I am use to hearing. Also it is funny that this was saved before the main event. I guess with the fact that RKO was next, The Shield was saved to be the protectors of the WWE Title. This was a good match. Loved seeing all the action in and out the ring. I think seeing Reigns doing a spear was so sweet. I still don't like PTP and think this is the end of their push. Time for the main event. )

Main Event: Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton - WWE Title Match
Winner: Daniel Bryan - New WWE Champion
(Well Detroit will be know as the new screwjob city. This was a good match. I was saying yes all the way through the match. I was happy to witness history but we all know that someone will be fired because Daniel Bryan won. The match was not as long as I though. The match ended like just before 11pm. I found that to be odd because of all the craziness and also the fact that people were leaving happy but stunned. I know both these guys can wrestle and can put on a good match. I guess the way it ended was shocking and left the crowd with something to talk about for tomorrow.)

Final Thoughts: I was there live. People will assume that I was not there but I was. I was happy to be able to go to all three WWE televised events in Detroit. I missed out on seeing TNA live and I had to work when WWE was in town after Christmas. After saying that, this was not the best thing I have seen from WWE. I wanted to see title changes not just one title change. I wanted to see action and some controversy. There was some but not as much as I wanted. If I was to get this PPV on DVD, I know 90% of what I saw would be edited. Also I hope that Botchamania will see some of the botches and mistakes I saw. I had more fun walking around seeing the fans in their gear and stuff. I know that WWE Raw will be better. So good night and see you all for WWE Raw.











Gene The Grappler

No comments:

Post a Comment