5/4/13

WWE Smackdown Review 5/3/13 - Detroit Edition 2013


Note: This was a rare opportunity to see this show live and in color. I was excited to see WWE again because WWE Raw was over a year ago in Detroit. I did get to see Edge make a post retirement appearance. Going to Joe Louis Arena in Detroit is a rare gem because it is the mecca of hockey and the mecca of quality concerts. WWE and Joe Louis Arena goes back to the old WWF days and seeing Hogan and Savage or seeing Ricky Steamboat and George "Animal" Steel. As a fan of wrestling, this is my MSG. NYC can brag about Bruno and his streak at MSG. I can brag about seeing good matches with guys from the Detroit area like Rhyno, Edge, Christian, and CM Punk. While I am writing this, I will admit that this is a rare oppurtunity for me. So this is going to be more special to write than other reviews. Here goes WWE Smackdown from my home of Detroit MI.

Before Smackdown: We see Bray Wyatt beat up Curt Hawkins before the show begin. Then we see Kofi beat Cesaro and Justin Gabriel beat former Nexus teammate Heath Slater.
(So as I got to my seat, I knew before Smackdown began that we were going to see matches taped for Main Event. However, it is rare to see a dark match that was interesting to see. So I wish WWE would put Hawkins back on TV. He is a good worker and he is going to be a good mid card champion. Bray Wyatt is one of NXT's stars. Their match was interesting because to be honest, Hawkins had it won. As for the matches for Main Event, it was SSDD live. I was into the matches but laughed because I am seeing this shit live. Kofi made a speech that was oscar worthy. The other match was SSDD as well. So we are going to get to the actually reason why I came to see Smackdown: The actual show.)

Match#1: Ryback vs. Daniel Bryan
Winner: Ryback
(On TV, they probably made it seem like Ryback was the heel. In Detroit, Ryback was the man. No one booed Ryback. Kids were chanting and also geeked to see him. BD live is cool because he looks more tan in person. Seeing this match was cool live because we got to see how WWE might fuck up the match. This was a long match because DB can wrestle. Ryback was hitting everything so crisp and precise. When Ryback won, it was like the Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup. Wow....it was epic. )

Match#2: Fandango vs. Zack Ryder
Winner: Fandango
(I am a fan of Ryder. I was happy to see him make it on TV. I did take more pics of him because he is going to get out of the hole and be someone. As soon as Vince's new project came out, I left to get food and to pee. I don't like Vince's project. I won't say his name or acknowledge him. As I got food, I was laughing because even the adults think this character is bordering levels of what Adrian Adonis was doing in the 1980's. So basically I did see the end and moved on. )

Match#3 Part #1: Ricardo Rodriguez vs. Zeb Colter
Winner: Double DQ
Match#3 Part #2: Ricardo Rodriguez and Alberto Del Rio vs. Zeb Coulter and Jack Swagger
Winner: Double DQ
Match#3 Part #3: Ricardo Rodriguez and Alberto Del Rio vs. Zeb Coulter and Jack Swagger vs. Dolph Ziggler and Big E. Langston
Winners: ADR and RR
(What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? What the fuck was this shit? Ok, I had to do this match in segments because thanks to booking, it came out like three parts of a match. I will acknowledge Teddy Long in a second. The first match was cool to see RR and Zeb just brawl and fight. The second match was getting boring and I was happy to see Big E. and Ziggler cut into the boring. The final match was a cool looking clusterfuck. Lots of flopping around and lots of action outside of the ring. So Teddy Long strikes again. Teddy Long is the poster child of tag team match booking. He had a hard on for coming out to book a tag match. I can't wait to see Teddy finally leave SD. The crowd was losing interest in this match until the end. )


Match#4: Randy Orton vs. Damien Sandow
Winner: RKO
(What was the purpose of this match? This was sad to watch because I wanted to cheer but was getting bored. There was a lot of boring chants. I know on TV those chants were wiped out. I want to comment more on this match but again left to get food and to pee. Unlike seeing this on TV with commercial breaks, seeing this show live made it interesting to leave to get food and potty breaks. Moving on to the end. )


Main Event: Kane vs. Dean Ambrose
Winner: Dean Ambrose
(Holy shit!!!!! First of all, seeing Kane's entrance live can cause people to pee on themselves. The loud bang scared the shit out of most of the live crowd. I peed a little. Also the pyro live can cause cameras to stop working. My camera stopped working. I was pissed but still loved seeing Kane come in to do battle. When the Shield came out, it was like seeing a rock star come out to perform. I was one section from where the Shield came down from. Seeing those guys coming down was awesome. I shouted to all three that I believe in the Shield and I actually got a nod from all three. This match live was cool. Kane was in rare form. Dean Ambrose is good to see live because TV does not do him justice. Loved the ending and loved the way they ended the show.)

Final Thoughts: Well this show live was a 8/10. Seeing it on TV was more of a 3/10. I hate WWE editing and Vince's shitty touches. Seeing this show live was cool because the fans were into it for the most part. I met some guys that came from Germany and we talked through out the show. I also met some people that knew me from my day job and this blog. So as a fan, I was happy to not waste money. As a blogger, it was cool to see people that likes what I write. I did skip the bullshit with Sheamus and Mark Henry doing an arm wrestling match. I skipped it because seeing it live was boring. I know taped it was more boring. I also skipped Big Show coming out after RKO beat Sandow. I love Big Show and it was pointless. I went to the bathroom and eat food more than seeing the show in it's entirety. Seeing SD live was cool because I like watching SD better than Raw most weeks because it is short. So seeing this show live was cool but I think I was more excited to know that WWE PPV is coming to Detroit. WWE Night of Champions PPV is on September 15th. I will be doing a WWE PPV review that night. Until then, see you all for WWE Raw.





Gene The Grappler

No comments:

Post a Comment